Monday, June 9, 2014

{The Signature Look of The Millennials}


Every generation has a "signature look" when it comes to interior design. I like to define a "signature look" as an aesthetic that was so prevalent throughout a certain generation and showed up so often in home decor that it became the recognizable and defining design of that generation. 

Baby boomers -- well, lets say my mom's floor length floral curtains with the salmon curtain rod are seared in my mind. When it comes to the BBs, I think of their signature look as anything floral, paisley or using tassels or fringe. There was a bit of a frenzy to use all these new accents at one time. It seemed very detail coordinated and was from the same time period. It was intellectual decorating at its best.

When I think of what the signature look of my generation, the millennials, is and will evolve into in the coming years as we purchase new homes and begin to infuse them with personal style, the words that come to mind are
 modern & eclectic.

Millennials aren't afraid to break the rules. We mix and match styles, pillows and furniture without a second thought. We use bold pattern and color and combine stripes with florals in the same room expertly. The three letters "D-I-Y" don't strike fear in our hearts. We're not afraid to push the limits and add an unexpected accessory. And the end result is an eclectic scheme where every unique element relates to create a stunning look. 

Below are my top picks for creating a signature and distinctly, "Millennial" living room.
(And yes the numbers below are very out of order. As a technology challenged person, I'm just excited I got these items in a collage at all!)



1. Sofa // 2. Rug // 3. Pillow // 4. Pillow // 5. Pillow // 6. Armchair // 7. Lamp // 8. Side Table // 
9. Rolling Coffee Table //10. Vases // 11. Frames // 12. Tray // 13. Gray Owl

No comments:

Post a Comment